Thursday, September 11, 2008

first post


I was in NYC the day before 9/11. My flight returned to Orlando, FL, where I lived at the time, on 9/10/01. I was standing on top of the world trade center on 9/07/01. Significant events happen in our lives, but life keeps moving on with or without us and we don't fully realize the impact they had on us until much later.


I shot this super 8 footage on that trip to NYC and when I returned home I put the film on a shelf in my closet and it sat there for 4 years. Then I moved to LA and it sat in my closet there for another 2 years. I finally got it developed and then telecined on 9/10/2007. I don't know why I sat on the film for so long, I honestly have no explanation for it.

WTC 09.07.2001 from JOHN W. RUTLAND on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Augustus Gloop said...

The video is presented in such a way that the viewer is "taken back". The nature of the super 8 renders a feeling of days gone by... a simpler, happier, less complicated point in time, and yet misleading given the fact of present day and mere days before the tragedy.

High artistic quality in my opinion. Also, the fragmented photo from the top of the tower is one of my all time favorites... very glad you made it home back in 2001.